“Vyborg” became the first Soviet transport lost in the Gulf of Finland since the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, and the only one destroyed by Finnish submariners. Two submarines (one of them is now on display at the Suomenlinna Museum in Helsinki) met the Vyborg as it sailed unescorted to Tallinn to evacuate grain to Leningrad. The ship tried to break away from the submarines, but a torpedo that hit the stern sent it to the bottom. All members of the Vyborg crew (presumably the ship was sailing without cargo or passengers) were saved on the island of Moshchny (then Lavensaari).
- 5 hours ago - Why Pedro Sánchez has angered the Italian government - 0 Comment
- 7 hours ago - The truce in the Gaza Strip breaks and the armed conflict between Israel and Hamas resumes - 0 Comment
- 23 hours ago - Israel calls its ambassador in Spain for consultations due to Sánchez’s statements - 0 Comment
- 1 day ago - The US pressures Israel to convert the truce in Gaza into a permanent ceasefire - 0 Comment
- 1 day ago - Former US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger dies at 100 - 0 Comment